Since its founding in 1996, Meleca Architecture has always been committed to urban development. So it was only natural that the company’s headquarters be based in downtown Columbus. Faced with outgrowing its current offices, owner David Meleca looked a block away to 144 E. State Street to purchase a vacant building built in 1921. Meleca began major renovations in 2006. The redesign was a complete overhaul with effort to preserve as much of the original structure as possible. The granite wainscoting and tile were saved and many spaces were given a ‘face lift’ without major reconfiguration. New openings were placed to improve circulation. The exposed rafters are supported by the original riveted truss, which adds a sense of drama to the space.